Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Persona 4 vs Persona 3

OK, let me just say while I love both games, I'm lean to P4 more than P3. You see, I like a game that's somewhat upbeat. If you can make a game that involves catching a serial killer upbeat, you get my respect. Persona 4 is that game. It has memorable characters, effective game mechanics, one badass soundtrack, and an incredible plot.  You go to a small town and live with your uncle and cousin for a year while making friends at the local high school, all while exploring a dangerous world behind the TV screen
Now, let's compare it to Persona 3. Instead of finding a killer, you're saving the world, which is typical video game fare. You go to a boarding high school, hang out with people, and at night you explore a giant dangerous tower during a secret 25th hour. However, unlike Persona 4.....Persona 3 gets pretty grim. Suicidal imagery, lots and lots of deaths, not to mention the final boss is the representation of humanity's desire for death.....0_o. Like i said, Persona 3 is grim-dark as all get-out. I guess it's just me, but Persona 3 strikes an unnerving chord with me. I'm not going to spoil the ending, but said ending left me feeling pretty bummed. That doesn't change the fact that it's a good game, but it seems like the plot's mood never really gets out of the nihilistic are it squats around in. Persona 4, meanwhile, is a fairly cheerful game. Yeah, there's some downer moments, but they're outnumbered by the funny moments that range from a small chuckle to side-splitting and rolling in the aisles with laughter. Humor's a powerful thing, even more so than sadness. Some games, like Monkey Island, Portal, and Bulletstorm are best remembered by how many laughs they bring us, as well as their gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment